image image image Follow Us:

Energy Assistance


One of the Special Works of St. Vincent de Paul, Detroit is to offer energy assistance to income eligible households who may be in danger of having their electric and heating utilities disconnected or who are unable to pay their energy bills.

St. Vincent de Paul – Detroit is pleased to have been awarded the 2016 – 2017 Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) grant award of $5 million from the Michigan Agency for Energy that will enable us to continue serving our neighbors throughout Michigan. The program starts on October 1, 2016.

Between October 2015 and September 2016 our Energy Assistance Program team through an expanded network of St. Vincent de Paul Conferences and in collaboration with service agencies throughout Michigan disbursed $4.2 million, to 3,688 households, in 36 Michigan counties.

We are currently out of energy assistance funds.

Michigan Map

Other energy resources:

The following websites are useful resources:

Alliance to Save Energy (for children and adults)

Home Energy Conservation for Kids

Coalition to Keep Michigan Warm

PATHWAYS for Bill Payment Assistance

Consumers Energy

DTE Energy

Department of Energy

Great Lakes Energy 

Michigan Public Service Commission

State of Michigan